Sunday, May 15, 2011

Priorities

Last week, my best friend had a baby and has been understandably out of touch and (pre-)occupied. Thus, my random comments, odd stories, comic discussions, and good-for-nothing banter has been piling up waiting for his return. Mixed in with that is my excitement and concern for him and his family.

When I sit down and look for him on chat, I think about him, his baby, and his wife and wonder how they are doing and how they are coping with such a giant, fantastic change. At the same time, the typical idiocies that we pass back and forth come to mind and I am sort of hit with a weight of realization. Here I am, working, goofing off, reading comics, teaching, grading, and generally just sort of living non-chalantly, and there he is with a baby. A human baby. A defenseless, dependent, pure, innocent human baby that will need nurturing, attention, education, morals, and an unfathomable amount of love.

I realized that, compared to having a baby, everything I do must be pretty insignificant... and with that realization came a double dose of hope. Firstly, and rather selfishly, is that having a baby does not change everything everything; and secondly, that I will one day be able to experience such a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment